Globalink Research Internships (GRI)
Under the partnership between HKU and Mitacs, highly motivated students will have the opportunity to be selected to join the Globalink Research Internships (GRI) and spend 12 weeks between May to October in Canada to work on a research project in their area of interest under the supervision of a professor.
Highlights and Benefits of GRI
- Each student will be subsidized a maximum of CAD$12,000 for the programme
- Fulfillment of Global Citizenship (GC) graduation requirement upon completion of the research internships
- An opportunity to take part in professional training (e.g. teamwork, project management, problem-solving, communication, and entrepreneurship)
- A chance to interact with companies of interest through events or individual meetings
- A gateway for international exposure and further study/career opportunities in Canada
- Full-time undergraduate students in non-final year
- Latest CGPA of 3.3 or above (at time of application)
- Completed at least 2 semesters of undergraduate study in HKU
- Priority will be given to Year 3 and then Year 2 students
- Apply through Faculty of Social Sciences
- Submit the required documents on the online application system:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Research rationale (a maximum of 200 words) with details below:
- Your interested research areas
- Why you would like to take part in a research internships in Canada
- Why you believe you should be accepted into the programme
- What you hope to have accomplished by the end of the overseas experience in Canada
- Screen capture(s) of academic results from HKU Portal with your latest CGPA
- Shortlisted candidates will be nominated to IAO for further selection.
The Laidlaw Scholars Programme
The Laidlaw Scholars Programme is made available to HKU students by the generous funding support from Lord Laidlaw of Rothiemay. As a prestigious scholarship programme embedded at the Universities of Leeds, Oxford, UCL, York, to name just a few, the Laidlaw Programme equips students with research and leadership skills to help them pursue their academic and professional aspirations beyond their current course of study.
Highlights and Benefits of the Laidlaw Scholars Programme
- Selected students will be engaged in
- research internship for 6 weeks in your first summer
- six days of leadership training
- an immersive leadership programme in action project in/outside of Hong Kong in your second summer
- Successful applicants (HKU Scholars) will receive a stipend of up to HK$5,000 (overseas) per week / HK$2,000 (local) per week for up to 6 weeks to support summer research.
- A travel stipend of up to HK$15,000 will be provided to support the immersive leadership development programme and other travel.
- Fulfillment of Global Citizenship (GC) graduation requirement upon completion of the programme with overseas components, including research projects hosted by UK partner institutions and immersive leadership programme outside Hong Kong.
- Full-time undergraduate students in first or second year of study
- Latest CGPA of 3.0 or above
- Commitment to conducting a research attachment independently and the viability of the proposed research project
Submit the application form and supporting documents to Horizon Office.
Please visit the website of Horizon Office HERE.