- Direct Training through school-based coaching programme for 50% of students with ASD attending mainstream public sector schools in Hong Kong and their parents; and capacity building of more than 300 mainstream public sector primary and secondary schools in catering students with ASD over three school years;
- Staged training programmes including training courses, seminars, sharing seminars and workshops, for all teachers and other school personnel in Hong Kong;
- NGO-based professional support teams and seminars for capacity building of participating NGOs;
- Evaluation study on the needs of students with ASD as well as the effectiveness and impact of the programme; and
- Resource package on education of children with ASD with service models and guidelines, 24 resource books, assessment and evaluation tools.
- Provide supplemental training to a critical mass of students with ASD so that a significant number of schools will experience its benefits.
- Enhance related expertise among different levels of professionals involved in such training, including NGO-based professionals and school personnel.
- Benchmark good practices and provide related guidelines and resources for schools.
- Promote sharing of good practices among professionals and schools.
- The student programmes consist of small-group spiral training over 3 years, providing explicit instruction that addresses skill deficits associated with ASD. There will be at least 18 hours of training per year.
- Needs assessment and training goals are highly individualized. Each training programme is tailor-made for the four to six participating students.
- Training strategies used are evidence-based.
- Systematic monitoring of student progress is conducted to continuously inform about programme effectiveness and need for improvement.There is strong teacher participation in the training process, together with additional teacher consultation/training sessions to facilitate the generalization of training effects to other layers of support within the 3-tier model of support for students with ASD.
- Associated parent consultation/training activities are conducted to strengthen home-school collaboration in supporting student development.
- Activities to promote peer relationships of students with ASD are conducted.
This model of support emphasizes addressing individual needs, the enhancement of critical skills using evidence-based methods, and the enhancement of whole-school support as well as home-school collaboration.
For detailed information of support services for students with ASD in public sector schools, please contact Education Bureau at 2437 7271.