Faculty of Social Sciences, HKU
The Faculty of Social Sciences was established in 1967 and has since undergone rapid expansion and significant transformation. The Faculty comprises the Departments of Geography, Politics and Public Administration, Psychology, Social Work and Social Administration, and Sociology. It also has six multidisciplinary research centres that provide a platform for research interaction and collaboration among colleagues on campus and in the wider world. To develop areas of excellence and to leverage our interdisciplinary approach to social science, the Faculty has identified four strategic areas for research, teaching and learning, and knowledge exchange for the medium to long term: China studies; nonprofit management and civil society; public policy; and social and cognitive neuroscience.
The Faculty seeks to contribute to the advancement of society and the development of leaders through a global presence, regional significance and engagement with the rest of China and strives to attract and nurture outstanding scholars in the social sciences from around the world through excellence and innovation in teaching and learning, research and knowledge exchange. The Faculty also aims to produce citizens with a global perspective who are critical thinkers, socially aware, ready to embrace diversity, and seek to make an impact on society.
Department of Social Work and Social Administration, HKU
Over the last 60 years, the Department of Social Work and Social Administration has grown to become the largest academic department in the Faculty of Social Sciences; has kept the social work education at the forefront of the changing social welfare landscape and is committed to improving the quality of life of people in Hong Kong and the region.
Tung Wah Group of Hospitals
Founded in 1870, Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (TWGHs) was initially established as a Chinese medicine hospital with a mission of providing free medical treatments and medicines. Due to incomplete welfare policies of the colonial government, TWGHs provided not only medical services, but also free education, free funeral services and emergency aids to the Chinese. In 1931, Tung Wah Hospital, Kwong Wah Hospital and Tung Wah Eastern Hospital amalgamated to form the â€śTung Wah Group of Hospitalsâ€ť, a name has been in use since then, under the management of a single Board of Directors.
With rapid population growth and social changes in Hong Kong, services provided by TWGHs has been evolving, expanding to 292 service centres in 2015-16, covering Chinese and Western medical and health care, education and community services, taking care of various community needs from the cradle to the grave. Now the Group has more than 14,000 employees and an annual operation expense in excess of 6 billion Hong Kong dollars.
The organization has 205 community services centres (2015-16) across Hong Kong, serving the elderly, children, youth and families and person with special needs and disabilities.