Faculty Academic Adviser (FAA)
To ensure smooth transition to the University, each new student will have a Faculty Academic Adviser (FAA). Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their FAA at least once per semester during their first year of study to discuss academic issues and their learning experience. The contact details of your FAA is available in the SIS System (via HKU Portal) in September.
The Programme Coordinator of each Major and Minor programme will provide specific academic advice about the programme concerned for students in Year II or above. The contact list of programme coordinators is available here.
Some quick notes to sign up for your FAA:
- How to sign up:
You will be asked to indicate your intended major, and then select directly from the list of advisers of that major on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Who is FAA:
FAA is a current teacher from your home Faculty who advises you on study-related matters.
- When to meet FAA:
You are strongly encouraged to meet with him/her at least once per semester in Year I. Please contact her/him by email (can be found in your portal) to make an appointment.
- Long-term relationship with FAA:
FAA not only provides you advice throughout your studies at HKU, he/she can also be your referee for your applications for scholarships & prizes, further studies or jobs. You are strongly advised to keep close contact with him/her.
Faculty Student Adviser
Each new student will be assigned a Faculty Student Adviser to offer the following support to them.
- Assist new undergraduate students in adjusting to the university studies
- Assist students in the registration and course enrollment process
- Provide support on the academic transition to the university and share successful study strategies with students
- Care about the academic success of fellow students and model this caring attitude when helping others
- Collaborate with Faculty / Departments / HKU units to offer student activities of academic interest and assist in centrally organized academic activities
The contact details of your Student Advisor is available in the SIS System (via HKU Portal) in September.